After what seems like a decade, I am now back with another video. And this video is sure to be a crowd pleaser, considering I’m making one of the world’s most popular desserts – the molten chocolate cake (lava cake.) Ever since its invention by the very well known NYC-based French chef, Jean–Georges Vongerichten, lava cake has taken up a spot in, literally, every famous restaurant’s menu be it Nobu or Chilli’s.
What most people do not know is that this cakeis probably one of the easiest desserts out there. If you know how to make a chocolate chip cookie, you can surely make a molten chocolate cake.
So what could be a better way to learn than starting off with the recipe by the inventor himself? Here’s the recipe that I slightly adapted from Jean–Georges’ original recipe published in “Jean-Georges: Cooking at Home with a Four-Star Chef” by Mark Bittman and Jean-Georges Vongerichten
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, plus more to butter the molds
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, (i used Cacao Barry 64%)
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons all purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- Preheat oven to 230 c
- Butter or spray the molds with pam.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in the microwave for 1-2 minutes and stir incrementally until everything is nice and melted together.
- Start beating together the eggs, egg yolks, and sugar until combined and the batter becomes lighter in color.
- Add in the salt and vanilla (I forgot to include the vanilla in the video)
- Slowly add in the melted chocolate, taking care not to cook the egg with the heat of the chocolate.
- Then beat in the flour, not too much, just until combined.
- Then divide the batter among the molds, coming up to around 3/4 of the height. This dessert can be kept refrigerated, since it is best that you bake right before serving. What you need to do is simply let it sit outside until it’s at room temperature, then bake it. (I also tried freezing it, wrapped in cling film, thaw it in the fridge, and let it sit outside at room temperature before baking, which works as well.)
- Bake the lava cake around 7-10 minutes, taking care that you do not leave the cake in the oven for too long since it would no longer be molten! Just bake until the top of the dessert is set.
- Invert the cake onto a serving plate and lift up the mold carefully, serve warm with vanilla ice-cream or whipped cream and serve immediately.
One Comment Add yours
Super cute chef kha! Like Like.